Transitioning to university is often challenging – especially when you are coming from a different city, country, community, or culture. The UBC Jump Start program on both the Vancouver and Okanagan campuses will help you ease into university life with academic, social, and logistical components that will set you up for success.
UBC’s Vancouver campus, August 20–30
On the Vancouver campus, Jump Start is an 11-day immersion program. The following new-to-UBC students are strongly encouraged to register:
- International students coming to UBC from abroad
- International students already living in Canada
- Canadian students who went to high school abroad
- Domestic students in the Faculty of Land & Food Systems and the UBC Sauder School of Business
10 reasons to register
Our past participants agree that Jump Start is the best way to start life at UBC. In their own words, here’s why:
- “You can build up your social network before the first term starts. That will improve your university life a lot.”
- “Being involved in a Learning Community your first year makes you feel a sense of belonging. It’s calming to be a part of a group like this.”
- “The student leaders are a meaningful resource and you can discuss anything and everything with them.”
- “You’ll know how to move around campus and Vancouver.”
- “You will meet people from all over the world.”
- “It will give you an early start in the academic portion of the university experience.”
- “The memories I made at Jump Start are some of the fondest of my time at UBC.”
- “The orientation leaders provide the benefits of experience and are able to understand your concerns as a first-year student.”
- “You’ll get to know the people in your program as well as some of your professors.”
- “There’ll be time to adjust to campus and university life and you’ll feel very prepared for the school year.”
Learn more about Jump Start Vancouver and register by July 4.
UBC’s Okanagan campus, August 27–September 1
On the Okanagan campus, Jumpstart is a one-week, pre-orientation experience for all new-to-UBCO students (domestic and international). Programming runs from August 27 to September 1, and students begin arriving on campus on August 26. All international students entering their first year at UBC are expected to register.
Jumpstart student highlights
Here is what three past participants – now current Jumpstart Program leaders – have said about their experiences:
“You get to experience all that the Okanagan Valley and surrounding communities have to offer, from the local ski resorts like Big White, to Okanagan Lake, and excursions out into the local area including parks and other outdoor activities. It was a great way to start the school year and get to know where you will be living for the next four years.”
“From the first few hours after getting off of the plane I felt like I was already part of a community. Everyone was so welcoming, from the leaders to the student service departments and the professors in our faculty during the faculty breakout sessions. The week of Jumpstart helped me set myself up for a solid start to my university career.”
“The leaders help incoming students feel well-supported in our new home away from home by using their knowledge of on-campus resources. This truly helps students become integrated in various campus communities.”
Learn more about Jumpstart Okanagan and register by July 31.