Transitioning to university is often challenging – especially when you are coming from a different country or culture. The UBC Jump Start program on both the Vancouver and Okanagan campuses will help you ease into university life with academic, social, and logistical components that will set you up for success.
On the Vancouver campus, Jump Start is an 11-day immersion program from August 21 to 31. On the Okanagan campus, Jumpstart is a one-week program from August 28 to September 2. All international students entering their first year at UBC are expected to register.
What Jump Start participants have to say
Our past participants agree that Jump Start is an ideal way for international students to start life at UBC. In the words of our Jump Start alumni, here are 10 reasons to register:
- “You can build up your social network before the first term starts. That will improve your university life a lot.”
- “Being involved in a Learning Community your first year makes you feel a sense of belonging. It’s calming to be a part of a group like this.”
- “The student leaders are a meaningful resource and you can discuss anything and everything with them.”
- “You’ll know how to move around campus and Vancouver.”
- “You will meet people from all over the world.”
- “It will give you an early start in the academic portion of the university experience.”
- “The memories I made at Jump Start are some of the fondest of my time at UBC.”
- “The orientations leaders provide the benefits of experience and are able to understand your concerns as a first-year student.”
- “You’ll get to know the people in your program as well as some of your professors.”
- “There’ll be time to adjust to campus and university life and you’ll feel very prepared for the school year.”
Learn more about Jump Start
If you’d like to find out more, read our in-depth testimonials from students about their Jump Start experience.
Students on UBC’s Vancouver campus
Learn more about Jump Start Vancouver and register by July 4.
Students on UBC’s Okanagan campus
Learn more about Jumpstart Okanagan and register by July 31.