If you’re applying to UBC Sauder School of Business’s Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) program, your Personal Profile will include a video interview section. You’ll provide on-camera responses to two pre-recorded questions. Watch the above video and read our tips below on how to prepare and put forth a strong video.
Why is the video interview important?
In the BCom program, collaboration, in-class discussion, and public speaking are daily activities. Your ability to communicate clearly by verbally articulating your thoughts and ideas is essential to your success, and in many cases, the success of your team during group work.
If you’re intimidated by the thought of speaking on-camera, don’t worry. The questions will relate to your personal experiences and opinions, and there are no incorrect answers. The video interview is a great opportunity for you to showcase how you can think critically, perform under pressure, and stand out from other applicants.
How to create your video interview
Within your Personal Profile, you’ll be directed to the online video-interview platform. Be sure to carefully read all instructions. Allow yourself ample time to test your recording equipment and try a practice question before recording responses to two pre-recorded interview questions.
You’ll only have one attempt to respond to each question. Once you’ve started to view a question, you won’t be able to pause or replay it. You’ll be given 30 seconds to think about your answer, and then up to 90 seconds to record it.
Tips for creating your video interview
- Take time to reflect. To prepare, think about your past challenges, achievements, strengths, and beliefs.
- Create the best recording space possible. Make sure there’s good lighting in front of you; silence all audible alarms and alerts; eliminate loud background noises; and stay free from other distractions.
- Be confident. Maintain good posture, smile, and present yourself professionally. You’ll find these simple actions will put you in the right mindset to more easily and naturally deliver your responses.
- Don’t dwell on mistakes. Natural speech isn’t always perfect – the occasional “umm” or mispronounced word is to be expected. If you misspeak during your response, take a moment, breathe, and keep going. Remember, you have only one attempt to answer each question – there are no do-overs.
- Be authentic. One of the reasons we’ve incorporated the video interview into your application is to be able to get to know you better. Don’t tell us what you think we want to hear; tell us what you want us to know about you.
We look forward to getting to know you better. Good luck!