I’ve been admitted. Now what?

Congratulations! you’ve received your offer of admission. Here’s what you need to do next.

On this page:

Step 1: Accept your offer

We are holding your place at UBC, but you must accept your offer by June 1, 2013 and pay the deposit before you can take the next step. To reserve your place at UBC, you must formally accept your offer and pay your acceptance deposit.

  • CAD $250 for Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada
  • CAD $500 for International students

Log in to the Student Service Centre and click on “Accept my Offer.” You will be guided through paying your deposit. The deposit will be credited to your first-term tuition fees. That’s it! You’re on your way.


There are some circumstances in which UBC will consider granting a deferral of an offer of admission for a year. If you wish to request a deferral, you must notify us by July 15, 2013. For more details, visit our website.


Once paid, the $250 deposit required by Canadian citizens or residents is non-refundable. If you are an international student and decline your place at UBC after you have paid your deposit, $250 of the $500 deposit is refundable. You will qualify for the international student partial refund if you

  • have not taken any Summer Session courses.
  • have cancelled all your course registrations.
  • notify the International Student Initiative before August 31, 2013.

The $100 deposit for second/subsequent sessions is non-refundable. If you decide not to attend UBC, please visit the SSC website and select “Decline My Offer.”

Step 2: Get your study permit

This step is for international students only.

If you are an incoming international student (not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada), you must have a valid study permit for post-secondary education in Canada, as well as a passport and possibly an entry visa, and medical clearances (if applicable). U.S. citizens are required to have a valid passport for re-entry to the U.S. If you have any questions, contact an International Student Advisor.

For U.S. citizens

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. you have another option to apply for a study permit in person at a major U.S.-Canada border crossing. It is important to prepare all the required documents before you come to the border crossing, especially proof of adequate funds. Visit the Citizenship and Immigration website to find out what documentation you need.

Apply early

If you are an international student, you can apply for a study permit online through Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) or by submitting your application to the visa application centre in your country or region or to a Canadian visa office responsible for your country or region. You must read the instructions on the visa application centre website or visa office very carefully and prepare all the required documents.

The process can be lengthy (it can take up to four months) so ensure you submit your study permit application as soon as you accept your offer to UBC. If you have resided in certain countries, you may also be required to pass a medical examination or provide criminal record checks before a study permit can be issued. For information about requirements and approximate processing times for study permit applications from the Canadian office nearest you, visit the website of the visa office where you send your application.

Students should visit Student Services for more information. If you have any questions about study permits, please email to isa@students.ubc.ca.

Under 19 years old?

If you are under 17 years old, you are required to have a custodian in order to study in Canada. If you are already 17 or 18, custodianship may be required but this is rare. However, it is up to visa offices’ discretion. After your study permit application is submitted, a visa officer will determine if you need to have a custodian. This can add five weeks to the process so take all necessary steps as soon as possible. For more information, visit the Government of Canada’s Citizenship & Immigration website.

If you are unable to find a custodian for your stay in Canada please contact First Choice International.

International students already studying in Canada

If you are admitted from a Canadian high school, you are required to renew your study permit so that you can study at the post-secondary level. Your current study permit can only allow you to study on the secondary level and you must renew it before starting your first term at UBC. Renew your study permit as soon as you accept your offer to UBC. For transfer students, if you are in Canada and need to extend your study permit, apply online. If you are currently visiting Canada and studying English without a permit, you must apply for a study permit from a Canadian visa office outside of Canada by mail. The closest visa office is in Los Angeles in the U.S. A list of offices can be found here.

Step 3: Make a financial plan

To reserve your place at UBC, you must first pay your deposit. This will be credited toward your tuition fees when you register for your courses.

We want you to succeed at UBC and we want to be sure that you and your family understand the financial commitment required. Check out the fees and their due dates, and use our interactive Cost Calculator to understand the costs while you plan a budget.

For Canadian students

Be sure to explore all the financial options available to you. UBC’s commitment to all Canadian students clearly states “no eligible student will be prevented from commencing or continuing his or her studies at the University for financial reasons alone.”

Tuition (all costs are in Canadian dollars)

Tuition at UBC is charged on a per-credit basis—not a flat rate—and varies based on how many courses students take and whether they are domestic or international students.

The 2012/13 academic year tuition fees for Canadian citizens or permanent residents are assessed at $156.68 per credit. Tuition fees are higher in Pharmacy ($231.00 per credit), the second year of Commerce ($232.15 per credit), International Economics, and Applied Science ($167.25 per credit).

For international students, the tuition fees for the 2012/13 academic year are assessed at $754.05 per credit. Tuition fees are higher for the Sauder School of Business ($844.88 per credit).

Tuition fees are reviewed annually by the Board of Governors and are subject to an increase of approximately 3% per year. 2013/14 tuition fees are posted as soon as they are available.

Students should be prepared to have an extra $13,000 to $15,000 to cover room and board, books and supplies, mandatory medical and dental health insurance, and personal expenses for the eight months of Winter Session.

Working while studying

Working while studying requires a fine balance. Canadian students may work on or off campus but you should carefully consider the amount of time you are able to allocate for work, study, and socializing. Work Study opportunities (on-campus jobs) are available on both campuses.

Full-time international students holding a Canadian study permit valid for six months or more may be eligible to work on or off campus. For more information on off-campus work permits and on-campus positions, visit the Career Centre and Coop Education  page and the Work Study website.

Student loans

Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada living in Canada or abroad may be eligible for Canadian and provincial government student loan funding. If you have previously lived in Canada, you should apply to the province in which you last resided. International students are not eligible for Canadian Government funding. Determine your eligibility for a student loan.

Approximate first-year costs

  • Domestic tuition $4,794 + (Depending on your program, this is the base amount.)
  • Living expenses $12,000 (Approximate, based on living on campus.)
  • Study equipment $1,700+  (For textbooks, supplies, and student fees.)
  • International tuition $23,300 + (Depending on your area of study.)

U.S. government student loans

U.S. students attending UBC can apply for Direct Lend Stafford and PLUS loans through the U.S. Government. In addition to completing your FAFSA, you must complete a U.S. Loan Request Form, Master Promissory Note, and Entrance Counseling to apply for Stafford funding. Your parents must complete a PLUS Master Promissory Note and a PLUS Application if they are applying for PLUS loans. Find more detailed information on how to apply for a U.S. student loan and links to the appropriate forms.

Please note that U.S. students attending a Canadian school are not eligible for Pell Grants, Perkins Loans, or other types of non-repayable Federal Aid.

Scholarships and awards

UBC is strongly committed to recognizing students for academic excellence, community and school involvement, and demonstrated leadership. Many awards require you to have applied before being formally admitted to UBC. You should review the deadlines for each award or scholarship you have considered. Many other awards are available for subsequent years of study. Canadian citizens and permanent residents may be eligible for non-repayable bursaries.

Transferring money to Canada

  • Bank drafts
  • Wire transfer services
  • Automated teller machines (ATM)

On-campus bank

  • Valley First Credit Union

Connect with Student Financial Assistance & Awards

If you have any concerns—big or small—about your finances, UBC is here to help. Your Financial Advisor can walk you through financial support and funding program options and help you put together a customized financial plan.

Step 4: Prepare for class

It’s time to plan your courses, build your timetable, and explore the many resources available.

First-year English

Most UBC undergraduate programs require you take credits in English or Writing. Exact requirements vary by program and campus, so check your faculty requirements in Step 6, or on your faculty website.

To meet first-year English requirements, most students will need to register in June for 100-level English courses (exceptions include Arts students at Vancouver campus, and Engineering students at Okanagan campus). To stay registered in these courses, you must meet course eligibility requirements. Credit in certain advanced curriculums (AP, IB, UK A-levels), may be used to meet English requirements in whole or part if your final grade meets UBC criteria. Please note that TOEFL and IELTS cannot be used to meet the first-year English requirement.

Okanagan campus programs

Most Okanagan campus programs require at least 3 credits of English. (Engineering students have their own program courses.) To keep your registration in a 100-level English course, you must meet one of several pre-requisites for entry. For further information about English requirements, contact Academic Advising.

Math requirement

First-year Mathematics courses at UBC often require a minimum grade in BC Pre-calculus 12 or its equivalent. Students who wish to remain registered in Math courses but have not met the minimum requirement may be required to take a different course. UBC students may have to write the UBC Mathematics Basic Skills test before the end of the first week of classes in September. Exact requirements vary by program and campus, so check your faculty requirements on the chart in Step 6. Additional information is available from the Math Department.

Step 5: Get involved with your learning

Browse the UBC Calendar

The UBC Calendar is only available online and is UBC’s official source of information for faculty and program requirements, course descriptions, and University rules and regulations.

Visit the Student Service Centre (SSC)

The SSC is where you will accept UBC’s offer of admission. It is also where you create timetables, register for courses, check and pay your fees, and much more. You can get familiar with the SSC by logging in and checking out our video tutorials. From the home page, look for the “Need Help?” list and select the topics that interest you.

Faculty and Academic Advising

Academic Advising offers first-year program planning guides. Click “Degree Planning” then select “First-year program planning” and click on your program. You’ll also find contact information by selecting “Contact Us” on the homepage.

Attend an information session

No matter where you’re coming from, UBC will host events from February through May to help you prepare for your journey to campus. Representatives from UBC will be visiting select cities in Canada, the United States, Europe, Mexico, South America, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Check out the complete schedule and register for events here.

Online information sessions

Join us online! Have your questions answered, get practical information, and meet other students. To find the complete schedule and register for events, see My Events.

Do you have advanced credit?

If you are completing an International Baccalaureate (IB), French Baccalaureate, Advanced Placement (AP), or General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced levels program with high academic achievement, you may be eligible for advanced credit for some first-year courses. Review your eligibility here.

Build out your worklists

Worklists let you build timetables of courses and sections (class time options) you are interested in before you register. To be most prepared, create and save several versions of worklists as alternatives in case courses are full. Include all required activity types (lectures, labs, tutorials, and discussion) and plan for both terms.

Want to transfer to another UBC faculty or school after first year?

Some first-year students plan to transfer to another UBC faculty, school, or campus to complete their degree. If you’re thinking of transferring, speak to an academic advisor as early as possible to make sure you are completing the appropriate prerequisite courses. Students need to apply and meet specified admission criteria to be eligible to transfer. Generally, prerequisites will be similar to the required or recommended first-year courses for students already in that program. In some cases, students may be limited in the number of courses they can take outside their current faculty.

UBC Co-op education

Co-op education offers you opportunities to experience paid full-time work, internships, and practicums in your field of study. Students usually apply to Co-op in the middle of second year. It’s a phenomenal way to witness the applicability of your UBC degree, and will be shown on your final transcript. IBM, Nokia, the BC Cancer Research Centre, PepsiCo Canada, and Barrick Gold Corporation are just a few of the employers who have posted jobs through UBC Co-operative Education.

Go Global and Community Service Learning

Whether global or local, set yourself up for rich learning experiences at UBC. Go Global lets you study and research abroad at over 40 countries, while the UBC Community Learning Initiative connect you with local and/or international volunteering opportunities.

Step 6: Plan your program

If you’re wondering which courses to take in your first year at UBC, the degree planning chart is a great place to start.

Plan to take courses that are Student Service Centre to find out which courses are awarded transfer credit.

For course selection, review the Academic Calendar for the Okanagan campus, and individual faculty websites.

Step 7: Register for your courses

You register for courses online. You will be emailed your registration date and time two weeks before you are eligible to register. Registration opens in June. On your registration day, do the following steps.

  1. Log into the Student Service Centre (SSC).
  2. Build your worklists (sample timetables).
  3. Click “Register All” to register for all the courses in your worklist. To register for specific courses in your worklist, check the boxes for the courses and click “Register Selected.”
  4. To register in courses that have not been saved to a worklist, go to the course section of the course then click “Register Section.”
  5. Once your registration is complete, click on “My Timetable” to see your completed timetable.
  6. Once confirmed, check your financial account to see your fee balance and to see when these fees are due.

Tips for building your timetable

  • Please ensure that you have all the prerequisites needed for the courses you have registered for.
  • “One hour” classes are actually 50 minutes long and “one-and-a-half hour” classes are 80 minutes long. A 10-minute interval allows you to get from one class to the next on time.
  • Include courses for both Term One (September–December) and Term Two (January–April) in your timetable. You must register for both terms at the same time.
  • In addition to lectures, some courses have more than one component (labs, discussions, tutorials). Remember to include all these elements to avoid schedule conflicts.
  • A course may be offered at several times, called “sections.” Register for one section only.
  • If a course is full, a waitlist section may be available. (Not all courses offer a waitlist—confirm availability.) If you sign on to a waitlist, check your registration status regularly to see if you have been moved from the waitlist to active course registration. Please note that not all courses move you from your waitlist to active course registration.
  • Once you have selected your program and your degree courses, you can choose your elective courses to complete your timetable. These can be courses in subject areas that interest you and complement your intended program area or further expand your experience in areas that are completely new to you.
  • Test your worklist to check for conflicts or missing prerequisites.

It’s up to you

Register on your registration date and time to ensure you get your first-choice courses. You are responsible for paying your fees on time. For detailed fee information, click on “Finances” and “Tuition History.” Remember, you will not receive a statement in the mail. The first payment installment for the Winter session is due by September 4, 2013.

Practice makes perfect

For an online tutorial on creating practice worklists, visit the Student Service Centre.

Step 8: Find a place to live

Choosing where you’d like to live while at UBC can be fun and exciting and will help shape your university experience. For the best start toward academic and social success at UBC, as well as convenience and proximity to UBC resources, on-campus student housing is for you. If you prefer an independent lifestyle, there are many off-campus housing options available in nearby neighbourhoods.

Live in residence

Most first-year students are guaranteed a place in student housing, provided you apply by the deadline. You must apply for residence by May 1, 2013 and accept UBC’s offer of admission by June 1, 2013. Residence offers will be sent via email—so check your email regularly.

You have a variety of options including single rooms, studios, one-bedroom apartments, and four-bedroom (quad) apartments. As with most amenities on the Okanagan Campus, all are conveniently located to all classes and student services. Your room assignment comes with a single bed, desk, chair, and closet. Some have additional furnishings and kitchen facilities. All residence rooms have been built or renovated since 2006. No need to share a room—all rooms on the Okanagan campus are single rooms.

To get information on the different residences and meal plans, housing fees, or the status of your previous housing application, please visit the Housing website.

Find off -campus housing

If you have time to do some wandering, vacancy signs posted on rental properties and houses can yield some great finds in the neighbouring areas.

Arriving early?

The application deadline for Early Arrival campus housing is July 15, 2013. If you are participating in UBC Jump Start summer immersion program, early arrival arrangements are included in your registration and you don’t need to apply separately. Most first-year students are eligible for the first-year residence guarantee.

Step 9: Eat well, stay healthy, and use your U-Pass

Eating on campus

The food services on UBC’s Okanagan Campus are conveniently located. You can use your Dining Card at any ARAMARK food service location on campus. This includes Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Booster Juice, Extreme Pita, Green Thread Market, Sunshine Cafeteria, and the Simi Store. A variety of coffee shops, juice bars, and sandwich shops round out the food experience on campus.

Meet friends and be active

With over 300 student-run clubs and course unions spread across both campuses, there are plenty of people who share your interests. If you want to get active, UBC REC offers fun activities like free basketball, futsal (indoor soccer), volleyball, table tennis, and badminton drop-ins for students. There are tournaments, workshops, and events happening year-round to pique your interests. From academics and community service, to a wide variety of intramural leagues, you will find a club waiting for you.

Transportation: UBC Card and U-Pass

Your UBC card is your all-access pass to the campus. It is your student ID, library card, meal plan card, and more. Your U-Pass is your free city public transit pass. For Kelowna residents, the U-Pass allows unlimited travel on the Kelowna Regional Transit system and access to HandyDART. Bicycling is encouraged, and public buses are equipped with racks to carry your bikes. You can pick up both your UBC Card and U-Pass at the University Centre.


UBC life is active, fun, and challenging, and your experience at UBC is strengthened when you take care of your well-being. Good mental and physical health can also help you achieve your academic goals. A good first step is making sure you have health coverage in case you fall ill or get injured. There are three main components to full health coverage for students at UBC:

BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)

This is a basic health insurance policy required by law for anyone who will live in B.C. longer than 6 months. The MSP offers benefits such as basic medical services within Canada and most doctor or hospital visits. However, there is a three-month waiting period for newcomers (during these three months you will be covered by iMED). To ensure you are covered in time, apply to MSP as soon as you arrive in B.C. The current cost of MSP is:

  • CAD $66.50 a month for an individual
  • CAD $120.50 a month for a family of two
  • CAD $133 a month for a family of 3 or more

If you are a Canadian student from abroad, and you need temporary insurance while you apply for MSP, you may purchase the Global Campus Health Plan.

iMed for international students

You are required to have iMed, the temporary basic health insurance that covers you for the three-month MSP waiting period. For one-term exchange students, iMED covers you for the entire duration of studies. It covers emergency hospitalization and medical services, including visits to the doctor for sickness or injury. You will automatically be enrolled in iMED once you register for classes. If you decide to withdraw from UBC, you must withdraw from all courses before the term begins so that you do not owe an iMED fee to UBC. If you are already covered by MSP or another Canadian Provincial health plan, you may opt out of iMED insurance before the third week of classes.

If you have questions, visit International Student Development or email an International Student Advisor.

Health & dental plans for students

You will automatically be enrolled in iMED and AMS/GSS or UBCSUO Extended Health and Dental Plan after you register for classes. Confirm with the Student Service Centre that you are covered. If health care fees are not included in your file, you are not yet covered by these policies. If you are already covered by an extended health and dental plan, you may be able to opt out of the AMS/GSS plan and should contact Student Care. The deadline for all opt-outs is the end of the third week of classes.

Step 10: Explore your resources

There is a lot to do in the first few weeks. UBC offers many great services and resources to help you get connected and oriented to life on campus.

Peer Mentors and Academic Advisors

On the Okanagan campus, you have many resources available to you including academic advising, wellness programs, first-year Peer Mentors, and the Senior Student Lifeline, which offers comprehensive career- and finance-related services to help you transition to life after graduation. For more information about resources on the Okanagan campus, contact Academic Advising.

Use Student Services

Wondering how to get to know your campus? Need to know about leadership and volunteer opportunities? Do you have questions about study permits and visas? UBC offers a wide variety of services and resources for current students that cover all of these questions and more, offering you health tips and keeping you informed about events on campus. Be sure to explore all the services available to you.

Your UBC email account

We like to keep you up-to-date and give you access to information wherever you are. After you register, you can get free Internet access and a UBC student email. Be sure to create your UBC email account and check it often. You can also log into my.ubc.ca, an information portal that accesses multiple UBC systems including email, the SSC, and WebCT course materials.

The UBC Bookstore

The UBC Bookstore is your one-stop location to purchase your textbooks. The line-ups during first week can be long, so be sure to reserve your books through the course materials reservation service. This ensures that you have your books in hand for the first day of classes. To sign up and receive email notifications, visit

Step 11: Get here

You’ve made it! After years of study and hard work, you’re finally at UBC. Whether you are new to Canada or live five minutes from campus, UBC’s orientation programs are not to be missed.

Visit us for free with Destination UBC

Destination UBC is a great opportunity for students from outside BC and living in Canada to visit one of the UBC campuses for free after they have been admitted. UBC will fly students to UBC to join our Welcome Events in May 2013. Okanagan-bound students will be invited to our Okanagan Welcome Event.

Orientation events

UBC Jump Start: August 25–30

Jump Start is a program for international students on UBC’s Okanagan campus that provides you with the chance to settle in well before your term begins! Take advantage of academic preparation: research, group work, and presentation skills; intensive writing workshops at university level; faculty-specific breakout sessions in which you’ll meet professors outside of the classroom environment. Take advantage of the social and cultural activities that build your university community to help you succeed in your first term and beyond. Take advantage of the off-campus trips, and explore Kelowna and the beautiful Okanagan Valley.

Kick Start: August 28–31

For Canadian students arriving from across Canada’s provinces and territories, Kick Start brings a select group of first-year students together to explore their new learning environment and get a kick start on their university experience. A variety of fun and academic activities are planned. Student Affairs staff, faculty, and student peer mentors will support you during this adventure.

Create Okanagan: September 3–8

Create is UBC’s Okanagan campus orientation program. A full day to talk to current students and faculty, hang out with fellow first-year classmates, and enjoy a great barbecue. Not only fun, it will also give you a head-start on your academic and social path at UBC’s Okanagan campus.