This program brings together agricultural sciences, ecology, and environmental thought to provide the background to issues surrounding the management of land and water to produce food, other agricultural products, and ecological services. You can tailor your education to specific interests including resource economics, conservation, water pollution, and self-directed areas of study.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Degree: Bachelor of Science in Applied Biology
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
This program examines the application of agroecological concepts and principles to the design and management of integrated food-production systems. Students have ample flexibility to focus on their area of special interest, such as resource economics, conservation of wildlife habitat and biodiversity, integrated agro-ecosystem management, or as self-directed. An intensive practicum is part of the program.
Potential career paths for graduates from this major include sustainable agricultural systems, organic farm management, and design and crop management.
The program is strongly focused on the Centre for Sustainable Food Systems at UBC Farm – an on-campus living laboratory for experiential learning.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Applied Biology
- Math (Standard or Higher Level) (Requires the level indicated for individual faculties and schools. Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics
- Two of Biology, Chemistry, or Physics at the Grade 11 level