This program will prepare you for careers related to inland aquatic ecosystems. You'll study water quality and quantity, aquatic organisms, and the health of aquatic ecosystems, and take courses such as "Introduction to Hydrology," "Weather and Climate," and "Freshwater Resource Issues and Management."
- Campus: Okanagan
- Faculty: Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Freshwater Science integrates aquatic aspects of biology, chemistry, geography, and earth and environmental sciences. You will study water quality and quantity, aquatic organisms, and the health of aquatic ecosystems.
As a graduate of the program, you will acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to deal with future national and international freshwater environmental problems – in both water quality and quantity.
Experiential learning and research
The Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences holds an annual undergraduate research conference on UBC’s Okanagan campus to showcase student research projects.
What can you do with this major after graduation?Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- Math (Standard or Higher Level) with a minimum grade of 3 (IB Math Studies is not accepted for programs requiring Math [Standard or Higher Level])
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics (Standard or Higher Level) (If you didn’t complete Biology, Chemistry, or Physics in the IB Diploma, you may meet this requirement by completing one year of this subject at the Grade 11, or junior level, under an international curriculum. Determine the level of study that satisfies this requirement)
- Chemistry (at least one year)
- Physics (at least one year) is strongly recommended