Get a strong foundation in the sciences with the opportunity to specialize in two or three specific subjects. The General Science program is appropriate if you plan to continue studying in professional areas such as post-secondary education, business administration, dentistry, law, medicine, or veterinary medicine.
- Campus: Okanagan
- Faculty: Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
General Science provides a comprehensive undergraduate science education with the opportunity for concentration in two or three of the following subject areas: Chemistry, Earth & Environmental Sciences, Life Science, Mathematical Sciences, and Physics. The program is appropriate if you plan to continue study in professional areas (such as business administration, medicine, law, or education), and do not intend to pursue graduate studies in science.
What can you do with this major after graduation?Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- Math (Standard or Higher Level) with a minimum grade of 3 (IB Math Studies is not accepted for programs requiring Math [Standard or Higher Level])
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics (Standard or Higher Level) (If you didn’t complete Biology, Chemistry, or Physics in the IB Diploma, you may meet this requirement by completing one year of this subject at the Grade 11, or junior level, under an international curriculum. Determine the level of study that satisfies this requirement)
- Chemistry (at least one year)
- Physics (at least one year) is strongly recommended