Geophysics is an interdisciplinary physical science of the planets and their environments, in particular the Earth. Geophysics applies the knowledge and techniques of physics, mathematics, and chemistry to understand planetary structure, dynamic behaviour, and evolution through time.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Geophysics is an interdisciplinary physical science that applies the knowledge and techniques of physics, mathematics, and chemistry to understanding the structure, subsurface, and dynamic behaviour of the earth and its environment. Science electives are normally selected from Geophysics, Geology, Astronomy, Oceanography, Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry courses. An Honours program in Geophysics is suited to those of you seeking professional careers in the field.
Professionals in the field work in resource exploration, environmental, engineering, and other earth science disciplines.
UBC’s Department of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences (which incorporates Geology, Geophysics, Oceanography, Environmental Science and Atmospheric Sciences) is one of the largest, most diverse and successful departments of its kind in the world. The Pacific Museum of the Earth is open to the public.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- Math (Standard or Higher Level) (minimum grade of 3) (Requires the level indicated for individual faculties and schools. Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics
- Chemistry and Physics at the Grade 11 level (The Physics requirement may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and Chemistry)