This interdisciplinary program draws on curriculum from Art History, Visual Art, English and German critical media theory, Creative Writing, Journalism, Film Studies, Film Production, Information Studies, and Computer Science. You'll gain cultural technology competencies for the knowledge economy, enabling you to work across many different sectors in a wide range of capacities.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Arts
- Degree: Bachelor of Media Studies
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
A new interdisciplinary program towards a Bachelor of Media Studies (BMS) is an exciting opportunity for a professionally focused student cohort. Subject to competitive academic average and portfolio submission, you can apply for entry to the four-year program direct from high school. The aim is to equip you with theoretical and applied skills, leading to many exciting career options.
Courses cover an exceptionally broad range of disciplines, including:
- Art History and Visual Art
- Creative Writing
- Film Studies/Film Production
- Information Studies
- Critical Theory (English Department)/(German Department)
- Computer Science
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Media Studies
- No additional courses beyond the general admission requirements
- Portfolio submission