This program emphasizes the experimental and laboratory aspects of pharmacology. You'll learn both the whole-animal and isolated-tissue techniques, as well as biochemical and chemical procedures. Skills that are stressed include the ability to search for information, design appropriate experiments, carry out experiments individually and as a member of a team, analyze data, and communicate and write effectively.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Entry to Pharmacology is competitive, and is made in third year, following two years in basic science. In this program, you will study the actions and mechanisms of drugs in biology and medicine. You will learn both whole-animal and isolated-tissue techniques as you explore the sources, chemical properties, biological effects, and therapeutic uses of drugs.
In your first and second years, you will take a basic science program. This program emphasizes the experimental and laboratory aspects of pharmacology through the ability to search for information, design appropriate experiments, carry out experiments individually and as a member of a team, analyze data, and communicate and write effectively. As a graduate, you will be broadly trained in all aspects of pharmacology.
Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Centre includes UBC Hospital site on the UBC Vancouver campus.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- Math (Standard or Higher Level) (minimum grade of 3) (Requires the level indicated for individual faculties and schools. Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics
- Chemistry and Physics at the Grade 11 level (The Physics requirement may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and Chemistry)