Study the fundamentals of animal behaviour, animal physiology, and examine related fields as applied to farm, companion, and other animals. You’ll be exposed to the role of animals in human society and the ethical, environmental, and other issues that arise, and receive training in research skills preparing for graduate work, or admission to veterinary or human medicine.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Degree: Bachelor of Science in Applied Biology
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
This major examines fundamentals in the field of animal science. It offers flexibility to students to focus on their specific interests. Applied Animal Biology is intended for students with a strong interest in animals and wishing to pursue careers working with animals. The program equips eligible students for admission to the four-year veterinary program at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine (WCVM). (International students seeking to pursue veterinary studies should note that Canada’s five accredited veterinary colleges have limited admission intake, and generally apply restrictions for entry, based on residence in Canadian provinces.)
Research facilities include the Dairy Education and Research Centre.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Applied Biology
- Math (Standard or Higher Level) (Requires the level indicated for individual faculties and schools. Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics
- Two of Biology, Chemistry, or Physics at the Grade 11 level