Take care of your health and wellness

A healthy mind and body are a critical foundation for your academic success. As you navigate your first lecture hall, write your first midterm, and adjust to life with a roommate, UBC has the resources you need to stay active, feel good, and be at your best.

On-campus services

Health services

As a UBC student, you will have access to a wide range of health and wellness support services at UBC Okanagan and UBC Vancouver should you need medical attention, mental health support, or health information and advice.

Disability support

If you have a disability or medical condition that could affect your full participation at UBC, reach out to the Disability Resource Centre (UBC Okanagan) or Centre for Accessibility (UBC Vancouver) before you arrive. You may be eligible for accommodations and initiatives designed to remove barriers to your academic success.

Health insurance

Your health coverage plan includes three main components: the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP), temporary health insurance (iMed), and an extended health and dental plan (UBCSUO or AMS/GSS plan).

  • MSP covers medically required services provided by MSP-enrolled physicians, maternity care, and dental and oral surgery
  • iMed covers emergency hospitalization and medical services, including visits to the doctor for sickness or injury.
  • The extended health and dental plan provides extended health and dental coverage, beyond what’s provided by MSP.

All students

You will be automatically enrolled in the extended health and dental plan offered by the UBC Students’ Union Okanagan (UBCSUO) at UBC Okanagan or the Alma Mater Society/Graduate Student Society (AMS/GSS) at UBC Vancouver when you register for courses – unless you’re an exchange student, in which case you must opt in. Review the health-care fees listed in your Applicant Service Centre account to determine if you are covered.

If you’re already covered by an extended health and dental plan, you may be able to opt out of the UBCSUO or AMS/GSS plan until the third week of classes. For more information, contact service@studentcare.net.

Canadian students from outside BC

If you’re already covered by another Canadian provincial health plan, you do not need to apply for MSP. If you do not have a Canadian provincial health plan, you must apply for MSP once you arrive in BC.

Read more

Canadian students living abroad

If you’re a Canadian student returning to Canada after living abroad and you need temporary insurance while you become eligible for MSP, you can purchase the Global Campus Health Plan.

Read more

International students who are new to UBC

MSP is legally required for anyone who is planning to live in BC for longer than six months and is not already covered by another provincial health plan. Be sure to apply for MSP as soon as you arrive in BC. During the three-month period before your MSP coverage takes effect, you’ll be covered by iMED. You will be automatically enrolled in iMED when you register for courses at UBC.

Read more

One-term international exchange students

As a one-term international exchange student, you are not required to apply for MSP. When you register for courses at UBC, you will be automatically enrolled in iMED, which will cover you for the duration of your studies at UBC.

Read more

Take the next step

Explore your academic options