Loans for Canadian and US students

Loans for Canadian students

Student loans are government-funded financial assistance that you repay after completing your studies. Student loans are beneficial because while you are registered in full-time studies you are not required to make payments on your loan. Instead, the government pays your interest during this time. This means you can focus on your education instead of on managing your debt load.

Are you eligible?

If you’re Canadian, you’re eligible to apply for federal and provincial loans. It’s important to keep in mind that to receive a loan or qualify for interest-free status (the government pays the interest on your loan), you need to take at least 60% of a full-time course load. Dropping below the 60% threshold can cause you to lose your funding and have to begin repayment.

How do you apply?

You apply directly to the government assistance provider in your home province (where you have been living before starting full-time post-secondary education). This is a one-stop process that considers you for both federal and provincial assistance. For information on student loans in your home province, please see the list below.

If you are a Canadian living abroad, apply through the Canadian province in which your parent or sponsor last lived.

We encourage you to apply for student loans before July 15 to ensure funds are available for September.


British Columbia


New Brunswick


Northwest Territories

Nova Scotia

Nunavut Territory


Prince Edward Island




Contact us

If you have questions or need assistance, contact an Enrolment Services Advisor (Vancouver campus) or email (Okanagan campus).

Loans for US students

UBC is an approved Title IV institution. US students can access funding through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program.

US students must apply for loans through the US government. Dual citizens (citizens of both the US and Canada) may be able to apply for loans through both the US and Canadian governments.

The types of funding available through the Direct Loan Program are Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans (previously Stafford Loans) and Direct PLUS Loans for parents (previously Parent PLUS Loans). UBC students are not eligible for Pell Grants, Perkins Loans, or other types of US federal financial aid.

We recommend that you submit UBC’s US Loan Requests Form by June 30 to ensure loan funding for September.

If you have questions or need assistance, contact an Enrolment Services Advisor (Vancouver campus) or email (Okanagan campus).