Funding for former youth in care

If you are a UBC student who was formerly in care, you are encouraged to apply for two tuition waivers: the BC Provincial Tuition Waiver and the UBC Post Care Tuition Waiver. The criteria for each waiver are different, but there is some overlap. If you meet the eligibility requirements for both waivers, you will receive the BC Provincial Tuition Waiver. Funding would apply toward your first undergraduate degree program at UBC. If your application is deemed ineligible then you may submit an appeal by contacting us.


BC Provincial Tuition Waiver Program

The BC Provincial Tuition Waiver Program covers the cost of your tuition fees toward your first undergraduate degree if you were a youth in care in BC for a combined two years or more. You must be between 19 and 26 years old. Find out more on the BC Provincial Tuition Waiver Program website.

BC Provincial Tuition Waiver Request Form
955 KB PDF
Download and complete this form.

UBC Post Care Tuition Waiver

The UBC Post Care Tuition Waiver covers the cost of tuition fees toward the completion of a first undergraduate degree for eligible students who have lived as youth in care in BC.


Please review the UBC post-care tuition waiver application below to find out whether you are eligible, and fill out the form.

UBC Post Care Tuition Waiver Application Form
208 KB PDF
Download and complete this form.

How to apply

Submit your signed application(s) and consent form(s) to (Vancouver campus) or (Okanagan campus) after you have applied for admission to UBC.

Or drop it off in person at:

  • Vancouver campus: Brock Hall (1874 East Mall) at the Advisory Centre on the main floor.
  • Okanagan campus: University Centre (206Z – 3272 University Way) at the 2nd floor front desk.


Youth Futures Education Fund

The Youth Futures Education Fund provides funds to help with living expenses for students who were previously in government care and are attending a post-secondary institution on a provincial tuition waver.

Youth Education Assistance Fund

The Youth Education Assistance Fund provides grants to students between the ages of 19 and 24 years who have been in care in BC. You may be eligible for a grant of up to $5,500 per year per program.

Find out more on the StudentAid BC website.

Agreements with Youth Adults (AYA funding)

The Agreements with Youth Adults (AYA) program can assist you if you have been in foster care or had a youth agreement. This program can provide assistance, with costs of things such as housing, child care, tuition, and health care while you go back to school, or if you are attending rehabilitation, vocational or approved life skills programs. For more information visit Agreements with Young Adults.

Aged Out brought to you by Former Youth in Care

This online resource was created by and for youth that have been in care or are currently in care. This interactive website explores topics such as health and wellness, housing, and ID Needs. For more information visit

UBC Centennial Scholars Entrance Awards

The UBC Centennial Scholars Entrance Award program assists students who are transitioning to UBC from secondary school or another post-secondary institution. The purpose of the program is to financially support academically qualified students who show an interest in joining and contributing to the UBC community, but who would not be able to attend without significant financial assistance.

Through the program, new students can access a variety of one-time and renewable awards of up to $40,000, payable over four years. For those studying on UBC’s Vancouver campus, there are opportunities to receive full-ride awards that cover the full cost of your degree and living expenses.



If you have questions about applying to UBC as a former youth in care, please contact us.


Sabrina Materie
Enrolment Services Advisor


Halyna Petryshyn
Admissions and Awards Administrator, Enrolment Services