Do you want to be an inventor? A research engineer? A technology entrepreneur? Engineering Physics encourages creativity, challenges intellects, and celebrates big-picture thinking. You’ll build a solid foundation in applied physics and a blend of electrical and mechanical engineering, while gaining extensive engineering design experience.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Applied Science (Engineering)
- Degree: Bachelor of Applied Science (Engineering)
- Length 5 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Engineering Physics is one of the most competitive and academically challenging undergraduate programs at UBC. With a strong foundation of academic courses, project courses, and co-op work experience, the five-year Engineering Physics program provides you with the skills and experience needed to develop new technology and interdisciplinary engineering projects. You will take high-level Math and Physics courses, as well as courses in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. In second year, you will take courses in each of these areas and choose Electrical, Mechanical, or Mechatronics as your specialty. The academic program is normally supplemented with technical experience, and protected time for technical work terms is built into the curriculum.
The UBC Sustainability Solutions Applied Physics Laboratory has unique research projects, such as the UBC Solar Canopy group, aiming to explore the potential of electromagnetics, for practical environmentally aware solutions.
What can you do with this major after graduation?Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Applied Science (Engineering)
- Math (Standard or Higher Level) (Requires the level indicated for individual faculties and schools. Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- IB Chemistry (Standard or Higher Level) (Outstanding candidates missing either Physics 12 or Chemistry 12 [or their equivalents] are encouraged to apply and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis)
- IB Physics (Standard or Higher Level) (Outstanding candidates missing either Physics 12 or Chemistry 12 [or their equivalents] are encouraged to apply and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis)