Environmental Chemistry provides you with a solid education in the four key areas of chemistry – analytical, inorganic, organic, and physical chemistry – along with core courses in Environmental Chemistry, and other fields such as Biology and Earth and Environmental Science. Learn how the environment works, plus learn how to analyze parts per trillion of environmental contaminants, and how to monitor environmental impacts on the environment.
- Campus: Okanagan
- Faculty: Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Environmental Chemistry offers a comprehensive education in the four important disciplines of chemistry – analytical, inorganic, organic, and physical – as well as some specialization in environmental studies. Employment opportunities for graduates include positions with environmental consulting firms, environmental departments in industrial operations, analytical laboratories, and environmental regulatory agencies.
What can you do with this major after graduation?Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- Math (Standard or Higher Level) with a minimum grade of 3 (IB Math Studies is not accepted for programs requiring Math [Standard or Higher Level])
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics (Standard or Higher Level) (If you didn’t complete Biology, Chemistry, or Physics in the IB Diploma, you may meet this requirement by completing one year of this subject at the Grade 11, or junior level, under an international curriculum. Determine the level of study that satisfies this requirement)
- Chemistry (at least one year)
- Physics (at least one year) is strongly recommended