Study the fundamental interactions between life (including human societies) and the Earth's atmosphere, hydrosphere, and geosphere. You'll build on a broad base in the basic sciences by completing course in areas such as biogeography, climatology, geographic information science, geomorphology, or hydrology.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
The study of geography can lead to either an arts or a science degree. The decision often rests on the level of high school preparation in science. The science-focussed program at UBC leads to the BSc major in Geographical Sciences. This program examines the fundamental interactions between life (including human societies) and the Earth’s atmosphere, hydrosphere, and geosphere. There are also options to study towards a combined honours degree with either Climatology or Geology.
For interests in environmental, cultural-historical, urban, economic, or regional geography, the BA program (with Majors in Environment and Sustainability, and Human Geography) is appropriate. Technical courses are incorporated into both the BA and BSc programs.
UBC’s Department of Geography is recognised as one of the most eminent in the field, ranked in the world’s top 10 academic departments.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- Math (Standard or Higher Level) (minimum grade of 3) (Requires the level indicated for individual faculties and schools. Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics
- Chemistry and Physics at the Grade 11 level (The Physics requirement may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and Chemistry)