This program emphasizes the role of statistics within the general framework of problem solving, and helps you develop an understanding of the concepts of observation, hypothesis, evidence, and validation. You'll learn more about critical statistical reasoning, with emphasis on the development of computational, mathematical and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Knowledge of statistics enables you to take numbers (data) and create meaningful information – from the design of clinical trials to the testing of a new drug, from estimating animal populations to predicting the outcome of a national election. You will gain an understanding of the role of chance or uncertainty in life.
Options in Statistics include combining majors with Computer Science, Economics, or Mathematics.
The statistical sciences interact with virtually every discipline in science, social science, and engineering. Research at UBC’s Department of Statistics reflects the breadth of the field. Examples include biostatistics (statistics relevant medical and health sciences) bioinformatics (genetic data and modeling in medical studies), environmental statistics (geographical, climate modeling), and statistical learning (machine learning and artificial intelligence).Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- Math (Standard or Higher Level) (minimum grade of 3) (Requires the level indicated for individual faculties and schools. Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics
- Chemistry and Physics at the Grade 11 level (The Physics requirement may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and Chemistry)