If you are offered admission to full-time study in the first year of a degree, most UBC faculties will allow you to defer your studies for one full academic year.
Am I eligible to apply for deferred admission?
You are eligible to apply for a deferral if you have been admitted to year one of a degree and one of the following conditions applies:
- You are planning to take a gap year.
- You are required to complete mandatory military service.
- You will be participating in a Rotary program.
You are not eligible to apply for a deferral if any of the following conditions applies:
- You have been admitted to the second or upper years of a degree.
- You have been admitted to a limited enrolment degree.
- You want to defer your admission to attend another post-secondary institution.
How do I apply for deferred admission?
To apply for a deferral, you must meet the following conditions:
- You must accept your offer of admission.
- You must submit your final transcript/report of grades.
- You must fulfill the conditions of your offer of admission.
- Your offer of admission must be finalized.
- You must not be registered in any courses.
- You must submit a deferred admission request form by August 15.
- Deferred admission request form
- 98 KB PDF
- Download this form to submit an admission deferral request.
Do I need to notify UBC Student Housing?
If you are granted deferred admission and have applied for residence, you should notify UBC Student Housing directly.