With UBC’s application deadline coming up next month – January 15, at 11:59 pm (PST) – you’re probably excited to select the university experience that will be the best fit for you. Know your options before you apply, and make sure you check out UBC’s Okanagan campus in Kelowna, BC.
UBC is consistently ranked among the top 40 research universities in the world, and UBC in the Okanagan is a great place to be challenged, to thrive, and to develop into a global citizen. For 10,806 undergraduate students from 121 countries, the campus provides an unparalleled mix of academics, community, and recreation.
11 reasons why we love UBC Okanagan
- UBC’s Okanagan campus has the unique distinction of being founded in partnership with local Indigenous peoples, the Syilx Okanagan Nation. You can study the Nsyilxcn Language Fluency program created to sustain and revitalize language traditions, restore language competence, and protect the knowledge of Indigenous communities.
- There are treadmills in the Serwa reading room in the library so you can exercise while you study.
- The Okanagan is one of North America’s top grape-growing regions. You can study wine chemistry in a campus that is in the heart of 180+ wineries.
- Christine Schreyer, who teaches linguistic anthropology at UBC Okanagan, developed the Kryptonian language for the Superman: Man of Steel
- You can take part in the BARK program, which brings cute, friendly dogs to campus to help you de-stress.
- The campus is heated and cooled by geothermal energy, helping with its carbon footprint and sustainability.
- There’s a beach volleyball court on campus.
- As well as more traditional courses, you could choose to take classes on the popular culture surrounding Harry Potter, vampires, and superheroes.
- The brand-new Nechako residence offers an all-you-can-eat buffet every day, so you’ll never go hungry.
- There’s plenty of modern student housing with no shared bedrooms. After class, you can take in the views by relaxing on the rooftop patio of the Purcell residence.
- You can study several majors exclusive to UBC Okanagan, including sustainability, data science, freshwater science, zoology, and health promotion.
Explore UBC Okanagan
Start by checking out the list of programs offered at UBC Okanagan, and read up on what it’s like to live in the Okanagan Valley. Would you rather live in residence or live off campus? Take a look at this video about one student’s move-in day to get a sense of how it might be for you.