Study the fundamentals of animal behaviour, animal physiology, and examine related fields as they apply to farm, companion, and other animals. You’ll learn about the role of animals in human society and the ethical, environmental, and other issues that arise, and receive training that primes you for graduate work, or admission to veterinary or human medicine.
Why this program?
- Study real-world biological issues, problems, and challenges and their solutions.
- Gain practical, in-the-field experience.
- Receive training in research skills for graduate work.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Degree: Bachelor of Science in Applied Biology
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
As a student in Applied Animal Biology, you’ll explore the field of animal science as you apply your knowledge to real-world biological issues through hands-on field work and research on farms, as well as in laboratories, animal shelters, and wildlife rehabilitation centres. The program offers the flexibility to focus on your specific interests, while equipping you with the knowledge and skills you’ll need to pursue a career in this fast-growing field.
The program prepares eligible students for admission to the four-year veterinary program at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine (WCVM). International students seeking to pursue veterinary studies should note that Canada’s five accredited veterinary colleges have limited admission intake, and generally apply restrictions for entry, based on residence in Canadian provinces.
Experiential learning and research
You’ll have a chance to integrate your classroom learning with real-world experience through internships, practicum, and co-op placements.
Applied Animal Biology Practicum
This practicum was designed to give students the opportunity to gain real-world skills that are transferable to a wide range of jobs working with animals. Previous practicums have included placements the Vancouver Aquarium, BC SPCA, the Wildlife Rescue Association, farms and other animal shelters, and rehabilitation centres.
You’ll have the opportunity to complete research at the Dairy Education and Research Centre, which provides educational opportunities and training for Canadians and international scientists and students from universities, colleges, schools, and industries, as well as for the general public. You’ll engage with graduate students from UBC and institutions around the world to exchange knowledge and learn from experts in the field.Send details
Life at UBC's Vancouver campus
Learn from world-renowned professors recognized for their research and contribution to the field of animal welfare. As a student here, you’ll have access to flexible programs that allow you to choose a pathway that best meets your needs, academic goals, and interests, while studying with a small cohort of students.Find out more
Many Applied Animal Biology graduates go on to careers in veterinary medicine, natural resource planning, ecology, agronomy, conservation, land management, organic farming, ecosystem restoration, biodiversity, and more.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Applied Biology
- IB Mathematics (Standard or Higher Level; IB Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics (Standard or Higher Level)
- Chemistry at the junior or Grade 11 level
- Physics at the the junior or Grade 11 level