Enjoy hands-on laboratory training and high-calibre foundational courses as you learn about scientific manipulation of living organisms. This program equips you with current scientific and technical expertise and the business and communication skills to start your biotechnology career as soon as you graduate.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 5 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Biotechnology is the scientific manipulation of living organisms, especially at the molecular genetic level. The combination of theoretical and practical studies, focused on microbiology and related disciplines, is designed for students planning to work in the biotechnology sector. Honours Biotechnology is offered in cooperation with the BC Institute of Technology (BCIT). You must complete a 30-credit first-year program at UBC before transferring to BCIT for two years. Then you return to UBC for two years of academic and co-op work terms. Some applications of biotechnology include the genetic engineering of food crops for disease or pest resistance, creating new medicines, and, in the environmental sector, the development of bacteria that consume toxic chemicals and reduce pollution.
The Michael Smith Laboratories, named after the late Nobel laureate UBC professor, are located in the heart of campus. The Laboratories bring together first-class scientists to solve biological problems using genetic engineering techniques (such as cloning, site-directed mutagenesis, gene expression) and to encourage biotechnology transfer activity on- and off-campus.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- IB Mathematics (Standard or Higher Level; IB Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics
- One year of Chemistry immediately prior to IB Diploma
- One year of Physics immediately prior to IB Diploma (may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and IB Chemistry)