This program blends rigorous training in the physical sciences and mathematics with biotechnology, bioprocess engineering, and the life sciences. You can be a steward of the environment, helping to harness the globe’s natural riches and improve the quality of our lives by developing sustainable and green manufacturing technologies for the production of superior medicines, clean water, cleaner fuels and materials, and cutting-edge medical technologies.
Program informationSend details
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Applied Science (Engineering)
- Degree: Bachelor of Applied Science (Engineering)
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
The program’s objective is to provide an outstanding and distinctive education in chemical and biological engineering, through a comprehensive and progressive range of academic courses. Selection of electives from a range of topics prepares chemical and biological engineers for meaningful, satisfying and productive careers in industry, government and academia in British Columbia, Canada and other regions of the world. The Chemical and Biological Engineering program provides an opportunity for students to combine interests in life sciences with engineering, and therefore focusses on processes in the fields of biotechnology and biomedical engineering. Some students graduating from this program continue their studies in the medical field.
Graduates are eligible, after appropriate industrial experience, for registration as Professional Engineers.
The two-storey UBC Clean Energy Research Centre is located in the Chemical & Biological Engineering building.Send details
Career opportunities vary widely across a range of fields including biotechnology, food and beverage production, manufacturing and processing, quality assurance, environmental protection, biomedical, pharmaceuticals, and more.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
IB Diploma Programme
- Completed IB Diploma, including at least three Higher Level courses.
IB Certificate Courses
- IB Certificate courses (Standard and Higher Level) may be used in an admissions average if you are graduating from a recognized high school curriculum that can be used as your basis of admission.
- IB Math Applications and Interpretations SL, or IB Math Studies, do not satisfy the math requirement for admission to UBC’s science-based programs, the Faculty of Management, the UBC Sauder School of Business, or the Vancouver School of Economics.
Degree-specific requirements: Applied Science (Engineering)
- IB Math Analysis and Approaches SL or HL, or IB Math Applications and Interpretations HL. (IB Math Applications and Interpretations SL, or IB Math Studies, are not acceptable.)
- IB Chemistry
- IB Physics
- Academically strong candidates missing either IB Chemistry or IB Physics may be evaluated on a case-by-case basis
The following subject categories are particularly relevant for this degree. Consider taking courses in these areas in your junior year and senior year.
- Language Arts
- Mathematics and Computation