This Science program provides you with a grounding in the principles and techniques used by intelligent systems, both natural and artificial. It emphasizes the study of existing systems (i.e., linguistics), the design of new ones (i.e., machine intelligence), and the design of interfaces between different forms of intelligent agents. You can choose to specialize in either Cognition and the Brain, or Computational Intelligence and Design.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Cognitive Systems is a multi-disciplinary program involving four departments: Computer Science, Linguistics, Philosophy, and Psychology, and offered as an Arts (BA) or a Science (BSc) program. You can discover how intelligent systems interact with the world around them. You will study existing systems (e.g., perception, linguistics), the design of new systems (i.e., machine vision, machine intelligence), and the design of interfaces between different forms of intelligent agents (i.e., human-computer interfaces). The BSc program offers two streams:
- Cognition & Brain Stream (Psychology specialization)
- Computational Intelligence & Design stream (Computer Science Focus)
Three other streams are available through the Cognitive Systems Bachelor of Arts program.
ICICS members are drawn from the departments of Computer Science, Electrical & Computer Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. ICICS also has members from the departments of Psychology, Physics, Linguistics, Applied Ethics, Commerce, Forestry, and Medicine.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- IB Mathematics (Standard or Higher Level; IB Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics
- One year of Chemistry immediately prior to IB Diploma
- One year of Physics immediately prior to IB Diploma (may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and IB Chemistry)