Learn how to use and improve computers while you explore topics such as databases and operating systems, software engineering, security, web development, and numerical methodology. Computer Science gives you a thorough grounding in computer software design, and a broad choice of other studies in computing. This program is ideal if you have a strong interest in computer science and the arts.
This program is also offered at UBC's Okanagan CampusFind out more
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Arts
- Degree: Bachelor of Arts
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
The Computer Science BA program includes Faculty of Arts degree requirements together with a thorough grounding in computer software design, and a broad choice of other studies in computing. This program is designed for students who have a strong interest in computer science and the arts, and whose interests are more closely matched by the Faculty of Arts requirements than those of the Faculty of Science.
In addition computing resources, the ICICS (Computer Science) building houses the ICICS/CS Reading Room which supports the education, research, and development needs of faculty and students.
What can you do with this major after graduation?
Career opportunities vary widely across a range of fields including hardware/software manufacturing, graphic design, engineering, health care, insurance, robotics, telecommunications, transportation, consulting, and others.
There are many career paths that can combine your academics, skills, and experience with your different interests.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
IB Diploma Programme
- Completed IB Diploma, including at least three Higher Level courses.
IB Certificate Courses
- IB Certificate courses (Standard and Higher Level) may be used in an admissions average if you are graduating from a recognized high school curriculum that can be used as your basis of admission.
- Students who complete the IB Diploma in English are required to achieve a minimum score of 3 in an IB Group 1 English course at either Standard or Higher Level. (If you are an international student with a score of less than 3, you may be eligible for UBC Vantage One programs.)
- IB Math Applications and Interpretations SL, or IB Math Studies, do not satisfy the math requirement for admission to UBC’s science-based programs, the Faculty of Management, the UBC Sauder School of Business, or the Vancouver School of Economics.
Degree-specific requirements: Arts
- No specific courses required beyond those needed for general admission
The following subject categories are particularly relevant for this degree. Consider taking courses in these areas in your junior year and senior year.
- Language Arts
- Mathematics and Computation
- Second Languages
- Social Studies
- Visual and Performing Arts