Learn how to use and improve computers while you explore topics such as databases and operating systems, software engineering, security, web development, and numerical methodology. Computer Science gives you a thorough grounding in computer software design, and a broad choice of other studies in computing. You’ll take courses like “Machine Learning and Data Mining,” “Parallel Computation,” and “Advanced Algorithms Design and Analysis.”
This program is also offered at UBC's Okanagan CampusFind out more
Why this program?
- Study in one of Canada’s top Computer Science departments with internationally renowned professors.
- Build your career through experiences in Science Co-Op and Tri-Mentoring, and network with Vancouver’s tech community.
- Take classes in the state-of-the-art Institute for Computing Information and Cognitive Systems/Computer Science building.
- Choose streams and specializations that reflect and accommodate your interests.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
The Computer Science BSc program includes the general Science requirements, with further choices in mathematics courses, a thorough grounding in computer software design, and a broad choice of other studies in computing. It gives you the freedom to pursue interests both within and outside Computer Science. You may select your electives from many departments, from Psychology to Commerce, and Music to Electrical Engineering. Options include Software Engineering, or combined honours with sciences, mathematics, or statistics.
Experiential learning and research
As an undergraduate, you can attend reading groups offered by various departmental labs, take directed studies courses, and attend the Distinguished Lecture Series, faculty talks, and honours seminars.
In addition computing resources, the ICICS (Computer Science) building houses the ICICS/CS Reading Room which supports the education, research, and development needs of faculty and students.Send details
Life at UBC's Vancouver campus
Study in an internationally renowned department that consistently ranks among the top computer science departments in Canada, and learn from faculty with a commitment to interdisciplinary research in state-of-the-art computing facilities.Find out more
A BSc in Computer Science can lead to careers in information technology, software development, analytics, genomics, medicine, robotics, finance, gaming, marking, e-commerce, web technologies, environmental technology, and more.
- Machine learning developer, IBM
- Software engineer intern, Amazon
- Software development intern, Microsoft
- Computer scientist, Simba Technologies
- Data scientist, Google
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- IB Mathematics (Standard or Higher Level; IB Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics (Standard or Higher Level)
- One year of Chemistry immediately prior to IB Diploma
- One year of Physics immediately prior to IB Diploma (may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and IB Chemistry)