Learn more about how the earth works, from the core to the atmosphere, and from the distant genesis of our planet to current and future trends in environmental and global issues. Earth and Ocean Sciences spans virtually all aspects of understanding the history and dynamics of our planet, as well as how to best manage its resources and the environment we live in.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Earth and Ocean Sciences offers you the opportunity to combine your interests in physics, mathematics, chemistry, biology, computer applications, and the environment. You will study the atmosphere and the solid and liquid earth, using knowledge of the past and present to predict the future of our global system.
Specific areas of focus include: Mineral and Fuel Deposits, Crustal and Mantle Processes, Sedimentary Geology and Geobiology, Environmental Geology, Understanding Earth’s Physics, Climate, and Palaeontology.
UBC’s Department of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences (which incorporates Geology, Geophysics, Oceanography & Atmospheric Sciences) is one of the largest and most diverse departments of its kind in the world. It housed in a new state-of-the-art facility, the Earth and Ocean Sciences Building. The Pacific Museum of the Earth is open to the public.
What can you do with this major after graduation?Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- Math (Standard or Higher Level) (minimum grade of 3) (Requires the level indicated for individual faculties and schools. Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics
- Chemistry and Physics at the Grade 11 level (The Physics requirement may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and Chemistry)