This program is accredited by the Institute of Food Technologist (IFT), and encompasses the chemistry, microbiology, processing, engineering, and physical, sensory, and nutritional properties of food. You'll learn about the manufacture, preservation, quality assurance, and safe development of food products.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Degree: Bachelor of Science in Food, Nutrition, and Health
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Food Science is the study of the chemistry and microbiology of food; the physical, sensory, and nutritional properties of food; and the science of food process, including the manufacture, preservation, quality assurance, and safe development of food products. Career options in food science include chemistry technicians, product technicians, food processing specialist inspectors, and food laboratory managers.
Food Science has research laboratories with modern analytical instrumentation. Specialized facilities include sensory evaluation labs, kitchens and pilot plant equipment for food preparation and processing, and biohazard facilities.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
"I travel to places like West Africa to visit the farms that we buy our cocoa from, so that’s a real connection back to my roots, in terms of agriculture in Land and Food Systems," says Peter, president and chocolate scientist at Purdys Chocolatier.Peter Higgins, Food Science Read the full story
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Food, Nutrition, and Health
- IB Mathematics (Standard or Higher Level; IB Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics (Standard or Higher Level)
- Chemistry at the junior or Grade 11 level
- Physics at the junior or Grade 11 level