UBC's Vancouver campus resides in a landscape forged by active geological processes. Studying geology here is an opportunity to live and work in a beautiful geological laboratory, literally at your doorstep. You can take full advantage of this setting by taking a range of field geology courses.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Geology is the study of planet Earth, its origin and evolution, its fundamental structure, and the properties of minerals, rocks, and fluids of which it’s composed. The entire field combines arts and sciences, and has many different sub-disciplines to explore.
Sciences at UBC offers a Major program in Geology, and an honours program in Geological Sciences (Bachelor of Science with Honours). For those looking towards careers in geotechnology, the department oversees a program in Geological Engineering which leads to the Bachelor of Applied Science (Geological Engineering). The Honours program is recommended if you are considering professional careers and accreditation.
Electives are grouped into areas of interest that focus on a particular aspect of geological science: Environmental Geology (includes Hydrogeology and Groundwater); Sedimentary Geology and Geobiology (includes Petroleum Geology); Crustal and Mantle Processes; and Mineral Deposit Geology.
UBC’s Earth, Ocean & Atmospheric Sciences (which incorporates Geology, Geophysics & Oceanography) is one of the largest and most diverse departments of its kind in the world. Housed in a spectacular new building at the heart of the UBC academic campus, it operates many major research facilities, and also the Pacific Museum of the Earth open to the public.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- IB Mathematics (Standard or Higher Level; IB Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics (Standard or Higher Level)
- One year of Chemistry immediately prior to IB Diploma
- One year of Physics immediately prior to IB Diploma (may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and IB Chemistry)