Study subjects such as differential calculus, mathematical proof, matrix algebra, and much more as you establish a solid foundation in the mathematical sciences. You can emphasize mathematics, statistics, computer science, or any combination of the three to tailor your degree to your interests and career goals.
This program is also offered at UBC's Okanagan CampusFind out more
Why this program?
- Study at one of Canada’s top-ranked universities in the mathematical sciences.
- Develop critical statistical reasoning, computational, mathematical, and communication skills.
- Take electives within the program's flexible framework.
- Prepare for work in finance, software, actuarial science, high school education, and beyond.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
The BSc in Mathematical Sciences integrates math, computer science, and statistics to provide you with a strong foundation of skills and knowledge. While maintaining a strong core in mathematics, the program allows you to emphasize mathematics, statistics, computer science, or any combination of the three. Computer science and statistics are extensively integrated throughout the program.
The Living Mathematics Project hosted at UBC is working to apply recent advances in computer programming languages and the technology of the World Wide Web to construct a new medium for the communication of Mathematics. UBC also consistently ranks highly in the prestigious undergraduate Putnam Mathematics Competition, which all students are encouraged to participate in.
The Department of Mathematics is associated with many institutes, such as the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences (PIMS), the Institute of Applied Mathematics, and MITACS. The Mathematics Library, Math Club, Mathematics Undergraduate Computer Lab and Mathematics Learning Centre are resources available to undergraduate students in their mathematical studies.Send details
Life at UBC's Vancouver campus
The historic Mathematics Building is located in the heart of UBC’s Vancouver campus. The Department of Mathematics has a prize-winning faculty who are at the top of their specialist fields.Find out more
A BSc in Mathematical Sciences equips you with the ability to solve complicated problems through analytical reasoning. Critical thinking and computational modelling are emphasized in the discipline, as is logical and flexible thinking. These are skills that are highly valued by employers in many fields. Business and IT sectors are eager to employ mathematics graduates in the software industry, actuarial field, investment, and banking.
The Department of Mathematics has actuarial advisors to help you structure your degree in preparation for taking the Society of Actuaries’ exam.
- Data scientist, IBM
- Actuarial analyst, Willis Towers Watson
- MSc candidate in Computer Science, University of British Columbia
- Lawyer, Amlani & Associates
- Accountant, KPMG Canada
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- IB Mathematics (Standard or Higher Level; IB Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics (Standard or Higher Level)
- One year of Chemistry immediately prior to IB Diploma
- One year of Physics immediately prior to IB Diploma (may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and IB Chemistry)