Your Mathematics degree provides a firm foundation in pure mathematics that you can apply in areas where it is of vital importance such as finance, computer science, and cryptography. The curriculum emphasizes powerful and versatile modes of thought including abstraction, critical thinking and logical analysis. You will also study the art of problem solving using logic, precision, intuition, and imagination
This program is also offered at UBC's Vancouver CampusFind out more
- Campus: Okanagan
- Faculty: Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
You can select a concentration in Applied Mathematics, Pure Mathematics, or Statistics. Graduates of the Mathematics program are prepared for direct entry into careers in actuarial science, government, or finance. Many graduates go on to graduate studies, professional secondary teaching programs, or other professional programs.
You have the option of completing directed studies, where you will undertake a supervised investigation of an assigned topic, culminating in a project and oral presentation. The Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences holds an annual undergraduate research conference on UBC’s Okanagan campus to showcase student research projects.
What you need to know
What can you do with this major after graduation?Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- Math (Standard or Higher Level) with a minimum grade of 3 (IB Math Studies is not accepted for programs requiring Math [Standard or Higher Level])
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics (Standard or Higher Level) (If you didn’t complete Biology, Chemistry, or Physics in the IB Diploma, you may meet this requirement by completing one year of this subject at the Grade 11, or junior level, under an international curriculum. Determine the level of study that satisfies this requirement)
- Chemistry (at least one year)
- Physics (at least one year) is strongly recommended