UBC's department of Microbiology and Immunology is a leading centre for immunology, recombinant DNA technology, and for research into infectious diseases and applied and environmental microbiology. You'll build foundational knowledge in biology and learn about cells, molecules, and mechanisms of innate and adaptive immunity, and more.
This program is also offered at UBC's Okanagan CampusFind out more
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
In Microbiology and Immunology, you’ll explore the diversity of microorganisms, such as bacteria and viruses, and their roles in the biosphere, from nutrient cycling to causing disease. You’ll be able to study the regulation of bacterial gene expression, or antibiotic resistance mechanisms and immunodeficiency disorders.
The Michael Smith Laboratories, named after the late Nobel laureate UBC professor, are located in the heart of campus, and bring together first-class scientists to solve biological problems using genetic engineering techniques.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- IB Mathematics (Standard or Higher Level; IB Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics (Standard or Higher Level)
- One year of Chemistry immediately prior to IB Diploma
- One year of Physics immediately prior to IB Diploma (may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and IB Chemistry)