Study music theory and technology, musicianship, and more alongside four years of private instruction in piano, opera, a standard orchestral instrument, voice, guitar, harpsichord, or organ.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: School of Music
- Degree: Bachelor of Music
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Students admitted to the Bachelor of Music program may follow one of four streams: General Studies, Advanced Performance, Scholarship, or Composition. Every stream includes four years of private lessons in an instrument or voice, along with ensemble performance (4 years), music scholarship (3 years), and non-music electives (4 years). The distribution of required and elective courses, in Music and in other subjects, is different for each stream. If you can meet the highest standards of performing ability, you may select a Major in Advanced Performance. You can specialize in a standard orchestral instrument, opera, voice, piano, guitar, harpsichord, or organ.
The School of Music offers cutting-edge performance facilities like the Gessler Multimedia Teaching Studio and the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts, recently named one of the world’s greatest concert halls.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
"I went to UBC to get the performance skills to perform the music I wanted to create in a professional manner. It also taught me that I didn’t want a career in the typical classical musical world that most instrumentalists go to after graduation. I wanted to choose my own musical path."Cris Derksen, Cello Performance Read the full story
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with competitive scores, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction. (If you are an international student with a score of less than 3 in IB English A [SL or HL], or you are taking English B [SL or HL], you may be eligible for UBC Vantage One programs.)
Degree-specific requirements: Music
- No specific courses required beyond those needed for general admission
- Audition, portfolio (students in composition), and letters of reference
The following subject categories are particularly relevant for this degree. Consider taking courses in these areas in your junior year and senior year.
- Language Arts
- Second Languages
- Visual and Performing Arts