Study music theory and technology, musicianship, and more alongside four years of private instruction in piano, opera, a standard orchestral instrument, voice, guitar, harpsichord, or organ.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: School of Music
- Degree: Bachelor of Music
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Students admitted to the Bachelor of Music program may follow one of four streams: General Studies, Advanced Performance, Scholarship, or Composition. Every stream includes four years of private lessons in an instrument or voice, along with ensemble performance (4 years), music scholarship (3 years), and non-music electives (4 years). The distribution of required and elective courses, in Music and in other subjects, is different for each stream. If you can meet the highest standards of performing ability, you may select a Major in Advanced Performance. You can specialize in a standard orchestral instrument, opera, voice, piano, guitar, harpsichord, or organ.
The School of Music offers cutting-edge performance facilities like the Gessler Multimedia Teaching Studio and the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts, recently named one of the world’s greatest concert halls.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
"I went to UBC to get the performance skills to perform the music I wanted to create in a professional manner. It also taught me that I didn’t want a career in the typical classical musical world that most instrumentalists go to after graduation. I wanted to choose my own musical path."Cris Derksen, Cello Performance Read the full story
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
IB Diploma Programme
- Completed IB Diploma, including at least three Higher Level courses.
IB Certificate Courses
- IB Certificate courses (Standard and Higher Level) may be used in an admissions average if you are graduating from a recognized high school curriculum that can be used as your basis of admission.
- Students who complete the IB Diploma in English are required to achieve a minimum score of 3 in an IB Group 1 English course at either Standard or Higher Level. (If you are an international student with a score of less than 3, you may be eligible for UBC Vantage One programs.)
- IB Math Applications and Interpretations SL, or IB Math Studies, do not satisfy the math requirement for admission to UBC’s science-based programs, the Faculty of Management, the UBC Sauder School of Business, or the Vancouver School of Economics.
Degree-specific requirements: Music
- No specific courses required beyond those needed for general admission
- Audition, portfolio (students in composition), and letters of reference
The following subject categories are particularly relevant for this degree. Consider taking courses in these areas in your junior year and senior year.
- Language Arts
- Second Languages
- Visual and Performing Arts