UBC Composition provides an array of opportunities for the creation, exploration, and performance of contemporary music. The School of Music houses a state-of-the-art electronic music studio for students interested in creating works which involve sound synthesis, digital audio editing, or interactive computer music.
Program informationSend details
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: School of Music
- Degree: Bachelor of Music
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Students admitted to the Bachelor of Music program may follow one of four streams: General Studies, Advanced Performance, Scholarship, or Composition. Every stream includes four years of private lessons in an instrument or voice, along with ensemble performance (4 years), music scholarship (3 years), and non-music electives (4 years). The distribution of required and elective courses, in Music and in other subjects, is different for each stream. If you can demonstrate a special aptitude for composition and you meet the performance requirements of the General Studies Major, you may select a Major in Composition. If you do not meet the performance requirements of the Bachelor of Music, you may, with special permission, also study composition for two years in the Bachelor of Arts in Music.
Among UBC’s outstanding facilities for teaching and performing music are the Gessler Multimedia Teaching Studio and the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts, recently named one of the world’s greatest concert halls.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
IB Diploma Programme
- Completed IB Diploma, including at least three Higher Level courses.
IB Certificate Courses
- IB Certificate courses (Standard and Higher Level) may be used in an admissions average if you are graduating from a recognized high school curriculum that can be used as your basis of admission.
- IB Math Applications and Interpretations SL, or IB Math Studies, do not satisfy the math requirement for admission to UBC’s science-based programs, the Faculty of Management, the UBC Sauder School of Business, or the Vancouver School of Economics.
Degree-specific requirements: Music
- No specific courses required beyond those needed for general admission
- Audition, portfolio (students in composition), and letters of reference
The following subject categories are particularly relevant for this degree. Consider taking courses in these areas in your junior year and senior year.
- Language Arts
- Second Languages
- Visual and Performing Arts