Music is a rich, diverse, and universal art that is profoundly rewarding to study and to perform. Prepare for music-related careers in elementary education, broadcasting and journalism, music therapy, and business by integrating the study of music into a broad academic education in the humanities.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Arts
- Degree: Bachelor of Arts
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
Students wishing to study Music as one of the liberal arts, or who don’t meet the special admissions requirements of the School of Music may pursue a Bachelor of Arts degree with a Major, Minor, or Honours in Music. Core music courses are similar to the Bachelor of Music degree, but without individual instrumental or vocal instruction.
UBC facilities for Music include the Gessler Multimedia Teaching Studio and the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts, recently named one of the world’s greatest concert halls.
What can you do with this major after graduation?Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with competitive scores, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction. (If you are an international student with a score of less than 3 in IB English A [SL or HL], or you are taking English B [SL or HL], you may be eligible for UBC Vantage One programs.)
Degree-specific requirements: Arts
- No specific courses required beyond those needed for general admission
The following subject categories are particularly relevant for this degree. Consider taking courses in these areas in your junior year and senior year.
- Language Arts
- Mathematics and Computation
- Second Languages
- Social Studies
- Visual and Performing Arts