This structured program requires significant discipline breadth, but also gives you increased flexibility to take a greater number of courses. You'll acquire conceptual skills, research skills, communication skills, and collaborative skills as you develop strong foundational knowledge in the sciences.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
The Combined Major in Science (CMS) program provides students with a broad-based science education, with a focus on data handling, communications skills, and experiential learning. Students preparing for professional schools such as education, law, or medicine – or those interested in scientific journalism – should seriously consider the CMS.
The program provides a structured curriculum that develops breadth by offering foundations in three science disciplines as well as an introduction in a fourth generalist requirement. It also gives students increased flexibility to take a greater number of courses. The CMS equips students with the background to understand and evaluate scientific issues from a number of disciplines, and how to communicate scientific findings to a variety of audiences.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- IB Mathematics (Standard or Higher Level; IB Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics (Standard or Higher Level)
- One year of Chemistry immediately prior to IB Diploma
- One year of Physics immediately prior to IB Diploma (may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and IB Chemistry)