This structured program requires significant discipline breadth, but also gives you increased flexibility to take a greater number of courses. You'll acquire conceptual skills, research skills, communication skills, and collaborative skills as you develop strong foundational knowledge in the sciences.
Why this program?
- Integrate three science disciplines for a customized, broad-based science education.
- Emphasis on lab and field work to promote experiential learning.
- Ideal for students interested in scientific journalism, education, law, or medicine.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
The Combined Major in Science (CMS) program provides you with a broad-based science education, with a focus on data handling, communications skills, and experiential learning. It will equip you with the background to understand and evaluate scientific issues and statements from a number of disciplines. It is not designed for students interested in research careers, but is suited to students preparing for professional schools such as education, law, or medicine, or those interested in scientific journalism.
The CMS offers foundations in three areas of concentration selected from five discipline areas: Chemistry; Life Sciences; Earth and Environmental Sciences; Mathematical and Computational Sciences; and Physics and Astronomy.
Experiential learning and research
The Combined Major in Science emphasizes the development of conceptual, research, communication, and collaborative skills through laboratories, a computing and modelling course, and field work.
Students have access to the Pacific Museum of the Earth and Beaty Biodiversity Museum, as well as CMS facilities in the Biological Sciences Building.Send details
Life at UBC's Vancouver campus
The Combined Major in Science in housed in the Biological Sciences Building, but the integrated nature of the specialization ensures that you will attend classes and participate in labs in the facilities of other science departments, such as the Mathematics Building and Earth Sciences Building.Find out more
The CMS provides a strong foundational education in at least three science disciplines, making it an ideal undergraduate degree for students interested in applying to professional schools, including medical, education, or law.
The program emphasizes data handling, lab experience, critical thinking, communication skills, and the ability to work effectively in teams.
- Doctor of Pharmacy candidate, University of British Columbia
- Software engineer, MDA
- Research assistant, BC Children's Hospital Research Institute
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- IB Mathematics (Standard or Higher Level; IB Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics (Standard or Higher Level)
- One year of Chemistry immediately prior to IB Diploma
- One year of Physics immediately prior to IB Diploma (may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and IB Chemistry)