The Science stream at UBC Vantage College establishes a foundation of knowledge through a core set of science courses that range from chemistry to calculus to programming. You will have the option of selecting either a computational science or physical sciences elective.
Program informationSend details
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: UBC Vantage College
- Length 11 mos
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
The Vantage One program at UBC Vantage College offers an 11-month program taught by UBC faculty for first-year international students who require additional academic English instruction as they begin their UBC degree. This program is only open to international students (not Canadian citizens or permanent residents).
In the Science stream, students all take a core set of science courses, and have the option to select either a Computational or Physical Sciences elective.
Through the program, students will complete the full requirements of the first year of a Science degree program, integrated with academic English instruction. Upon successful completion of the Vantage One program, students will be able to transition into their second year at UBC.
- Taught by UBC faculty
- Small class size, cohort structure
- Program fee includes all UBC credit coursework, academic English instruction, and additional learning support
- Access to all UBC students services and university resources
- All Vantage One program students live in campus residences. Exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis.
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
IB Diploma Programme
- Completed IB Diploma, including at least three Higher Level courses.
IB Certificate Courses
- IB Certificate courses (Standard and Higher Level) may be used in an admissions average if you are graduating from a recognized high school curriculum that can be used as your basis of admission.
- IB Math Applications and Interpretations SL, or IB Math Studies, do not satisfy the math requirement for admission to UBC’s science-based programs, the Faculty of Management, the UBC Sauder School of Business, or the Vancouver School of Economics.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- IB Math Analysis and Approaches SL or HL, or IB Math Applications and Interpretations HL. (IB Math Applications and Interpretations SL, or IB Math Studies, are not acceptable.)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics
- Grade 11 or equivalent Chemistry, and
- Grade 11 or equivalent Physics (may be waived with grades of 5 in IB Chemistry and in your IB Mathematics course)
Note: Grade 11 Chemistry and Physics requirements listed are only relevant to students who are not completing the equivalent IB Diploma Chemistry and/or Physics courses.
For students studying outside of Canada, some examples of courses that may be accepted as Grade 11 equivalents are junior-level courses for American students, and IGCSE and O Level for those following British-patterned curricula.
The following subject categories are particularly relevant for this degree. Consider taking courses in these areas in your junior year and senior year.
- Language Arts
- Mathematics and Computation