Explore the animal kingdom as a biological scientist by studying behaviours, physiology, anatomy, and the entire animal organism. You'll gain practical experience and skills in laboratory and fieldwork, computers, and communication.
- Campus: Okanagan
- Faculty: Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
The major in Zoology at Okanagan campus embraces a broad range of topics in animal biology (physiology, ecology, developmental biology). Through a comparative approach, students gain practical experience and skills in laboratory and field work, computers, and communication.
Experiential learning and research
The Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences holds an annual undergraduate research conference on UBC’s Okanagan campus to showcase student research projects.
What can you do with this major after graduation?Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- IB Mathematics (Standard or Higher Level; IB Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, IB Physics, or IB Geography (Standard or Higher Level)
- Chemistry at the junior or Grade 11 level
- Physics at the junior or Grade 11 level (strongly recommended)