The Schulich Leader Scholarships program recognizes students across Canada who demonstrate excellence in academics and community leadership, and plan to study in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) areas at either of UBC’s campuses during their undergraduate degree.
Schulich Leader Scholarships were created by Canadian business leader and philanthropist Seymour Schulich and is managed by the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. Mr. Schulich is a noted entrepreneur and philanthropist, who believes strongly in supporting young people in their pursuit of science and technology.
Read about one Schulich Scholarship winner, Vivian Tsang, who describes the qualities common to Schulich Scholars.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible, you must be
- a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada graduating from a Canadian high school, secondary school or CÉGEP
- nominated by your high school, secondary school, or CÉGEP
- possess at least two of the three following attributes:
- leadership (community, business, or entrepreneurial)
- academic excellence
- financial need
- not planning a career as a medical practitioner
To be eligible, you should be applying to a STEM faculty of study at either of UBC’s campuses.
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Applied Science – Includes Engineering
- Faculty of Land & Food Systems
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Arts and Science – provided student registers in a Bachelor of Science Degree
- Faculty of Applied Science
Schulich Leader Scholarships in Engineering are valued at $100,000. Recipient will receive annual payments of $25,000 over a period of four years if all renewal criteria are met.
Schulich Leader Scholarships in STEM faculties outside of Engineering are valued at $80,000. Recipient will receive annual payments of $20,000 over a period of four years if all renewal criteria are met.
How do I apply?
High school, secondary school, or CÉGEP students in their final year of study are eligible to be selected by their respective schools as Schulich Leader Nominees. High schools may nominate one student per year; CEGEPs may nominate two students.
For information on the application process visit the Schulich Leader Scholarships website.
When is the deadline?
The 2018 Schulich Leaders nomination period opens on September 8 and will close on February 1 in Canada.
Nominees must submit a separate online Schulich Leader application by February 22. A link to this application will be emailed by representatives from the Schulich Leader Scholarships office.
When will the winners be announced?
Schulich Leader Scholarship winners will be notified on or before June 15.