Chemistry is the science of the materials that make up our physical world, and comprises a diverse range of study, including areas such as pharmaceuticals, advanced materials, biochemistry, and theoretical chemistry. You’ll study matter and the changes that matter undergoes via physical and chemical processes, with the option to tailor your focus to a number of different sub-disciplines.
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
In Chemistry, you will discover the properties of inorganic and organic matter and the ways that atoms interact. You will study kinetic theory, quantum mechanics, biogeochemistry, and more. The Chemistry major provides you with a broad background in science with a concentration in chemistry, which can lead to work in industrial or government laboratories. A number of combined honours programs are open to suitably qualified students, which include Chemistry together with Biochemistry, Mathematics, Physics, or another science.
The late UBC professor Michael Smith won the 1993 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for discovering how to make targeted genetic mutations in DNA. The new Michael Smith Building, housing the Biotechnology Laboratory, honours his legacy.Send details
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- Math (Standard or Higher Level) (minimum grade of 3) (Requires the level indicated for individual faculties and schools. Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics
- Chemistry and Physics at the Grade 11 level (The Physics requirement may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and Chemistry)