Study all aspects of living things and their processes as you learn about the fundamental concepts in Biology. You’ll have a diverse range of courses to choose from, providing insight into the various sub-disciplines such as ecology, human biology, and animal physiology. Specializations within the Biology program range from Animal Biology to Evolutionary Biology to Chemical Biology, and much more.
This program is also offered at UBC's Okanagan CampusFind out more
- Campus: Vancouver
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Length 4 yrs
You can combine your studies with full-time, paid work at top local and international organizations.
You can study intense specialization in a single field.
The Biology program at UBC’s Vancouver campus offers an extremely rich range of specialty and course options that span the field’s many sub-disciplines. It is overseen by two Departments: Botany (in the academic field, one of the largest and strongest in North America) which focusses on plant science; and Zoology, another powerhouse department conducting research and teaching in developmental biology, comparative animal physiology, ecology and evolution.
The Biology program has one Major, two Combined Majors, eight Honours, and three Combined Honours options. Biology program options include the following:
- Animal Biology (Honours)
- Biology (Major, Honours)
- Cell and Developmental Biology (Honours)
- Computer Science & Biology (Combined Major, Combined Honours)
- Conservation Biology (Honours)
- Ecology and Environmental Biology (Honours)
- Evolutionary Biology (Honours)
- Marine Biology (Honours)
- Plant Biology (Honours)
- Chemical Biology (Combined Honours)
- Biology and Oceanography (Combined Major, Combined Honours)
A UBC education will introduce you to people and ideas from around the world, open doors to new opportunities, and take you places you never imagined. You’ll graduate not only with expertise in your chosen field, but with the skills you need to continue growing, learning, and evolving with your career over time.
English is the language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students must demonstrate English-language competency prior to admission. There are numerous ways to meet the English Language Admission Standard.
General admission requirements
- Completion of the IB Diploma with a minimum score of 24 points, including at least three Higher Level courses and additional points for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge.
- Completion of Standard Level or Higher Level English A at a minimum score of 3, where English is the primary language of instruction.
Degree-specific requirements: Science
- IB Mathematics (Standard or Higher Level; IB Math Studies does not meet the requirement)
- One of IB Biology, IB Chemistry, or IB Physics (Standard or Higher Level)
- One year of Chemistry immediately prior to IB Diploma
- One year of Physics immediately prior to IB Diploma (may be waived with scores of 5 or higher in IB Mathematics and IB Chemistry)