Get a head start on your first term at UBC by enrolling in Academic Essentials. These courses are designed to ensure you have a strong grasp of the fundamentals in math, academic reading and writing, and health and wellness at UBC, so you have a solid foundation to build on in September.
Your academic essentials courses begin on July 5, 2021, so there’s not long left to register!
What is Academic Essentials?
Academic Essentials is a series of three not-for-credit courses that will help you hit the ground running before your first day at UBC. Each course includes about three hours a week of instruction, and may include short weekly assignments. You can register for as many courses as you like.
As part of the curriculum, you’ll be able to access a library of online material to study in your own time while also having the opportunity to talk to Course Facilitators. These are current UBC students who will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the course content or UBC.
Which courses can you choose?
Academic Essentials: Reading and Writing at University
- Learn strategies for active listening and critical reading in your UBC classes.
- Become familiar with the UBC library system and the structures of academic articles.
- Begin to develop your own writing voice, and explore different areas of research.
- Interact with Course Facilitators through discussions and short writing exercises.
Academic Essentials: Readiness for University Mathematics
- Discover the habits you’ll need to be successful in your math classes at UBC.
- Learn how to approach new problems, and when to ask for help.
- Practice fundamentals like algebra, functions, graphs, and geometry.
- Self-assess the prerequisite skills and concepts needed for UBC calculus classes.
Academic Essentials: Live Well to Learn Well
- Get tips on how to successfully transition from high school to university.
- Develop a personalized action plan to excel in your time at UBC.
- Learn about the resources and strategies available to build a sense of community at UBC.
- Find out how to access academic and wellness resources at UBC.
You can take part in one, two, or all three courses. Each one is tailored to your campus.
When is Academic Essentials?
All Academic Essentials courses run from July 5 to August 12, 2021. Each of the courses are self-directed, with new content released each week.
How much does it cost?
Every course is offered free of cost.
How to register
Click the links below to enrol in the courses of your choice. You can choose from one, two, or all three courses, and you’ll need to register for each individually. You’ll need your campus wide login (CWL) from your UBC application to sign up.
When you register, make sure you select the courses for the campus to which you’ve been admitted (Okanagan or Vancouver).
Hear from past participants:
“The Academic Essentials courses were my first insight into what a university class feels like. They introduced me to the various resources UBC uses to conduct online learning in particular, and it was a very convenient head start that made my transition to university feel more familiar and comfortable.”
– Raiaan Khan, first year in Applied Science, Academic Essentials participant