Have you demonstrated excellent leadership abilities and academic results during your time in high school? Are you a Canadian student who needs financial assistance to go to university? If so, you could be eligible for a Schulich Leader Scholarship.
What is a Schulich Leader Scholarship?
Schulich Leader Scholarships recognize students across Canada who plan to study a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) subject on either of UBC’s campuses.
If you’ve chosen to study Engineering, your Schulich Leader Scholarship will be worth $120,000. You’ll receive annual payments of $30,000 over a period of four years.
For STEM faculties outside of Engineering, the awards are valued at $100,000. You can expect annual payments of $25,000 over a period of four years.
Are you eligible?
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada who is graduating from a Canadian high school, secondary school, or CEGEP in the 2022/2023 academic year.
- Be nominated by your high school, secondary school, or CEGEP.
- Meet the following criteria:
- Academic excellence; and
- Leadership, charisma, and creativity.
- Be entrepreneurial-minded and intend to pursue a career in one or more of the focus areas of technology, engineering, entrepreneurship and business enterprise, and applied scientific research.
- Not be pursuing a career as a practicing physician and/or medical researcher (e.g., doctor, dentist, nurse, psychologist, pharmacist, optometrist, etc), and not intend to become a professor and conduct theoretical research.
- Not be focusing on activism (i.e., environmental, political, or societal).
Strong consideration will be given to students with financial need.
Eligible degree programs
You are eligible for the award if you apply to one of the STEM faculties listed below:
- Faculty of Applied Science (Vancouver Campus)
- Faculty of Applied Science (Okanagan Campus)
Science & Math Programs
- Faculty of Science (Vancouver Campus)
- Faculty of Science (Okanagan Campus)
Review the details of the eligible UBC faculties and programs.
How do you apply?
Your high school, secondary school, or CEGEP must nominate you for the award. High schools may nominate one student per year, and CEGEPs may nominate up to four students.
For more information on the application process, take a look at the Schulich Leader Scholarships website.
When is the deadline?
The Schulich Leaders nomination period closes on January 31, 2023 in Canada.
If you’re nominated by your school, you must submit a separate online Schulich Leader application by February 21, 2023. A link to this application will be emailed by representatives from the Schulich Leader Scholarships office.