Have you had a change of heart? If you’ve applied to one degree, but decided you’d rather pursue a different one, here’s what you need to do.
How to change your degree
- Check the admissions requirements for your new degree choice and make sure you meet the criteria.
- Be certain of the order of your choices – think of them as two separate applications ranked in order of preference. We will evaluate your first choice first, and if we offer you admission to that choice, we will stop there. We will only evaluate your second-choice degree application if you were unsuccessful with your application to your first choice.
- Be absolutely sure you want to change your degree, because it could affect your award eligibility. If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and you apply by December 1, 2019, your first-choice application will be considered for a Presidential Scholars Award. If you are an international student and you apply by December 1, 2019, your first-choice application will be considered for an International Major Entrance Scholarship. For all students, your new first-choice application will not be considered for an award if you make a change after December 1.
- After you’ve thought through the above, you can submit the changes of your first-choice and second-choice applications by January 15, 2019. Be sure to include your full name and UBC reference number, and we will update your UBC application accordingly. Your application changes will not be updated if your request is made after January 15, 2020.
Please submit your program change request here. You can use the same link to ask any questions you might have about about changing your degree.
- Some degrees (for example, Nursing on UBC’s Okanagan campus) can only be considered first-choice degrees. This means that if you select that program as your second choice, it will not be evaluated.
- We will notify you if we cannot accommodate a change to your application.
And remember, you use the same UBC application to apply for degrees on both UBC campuses. Your first choice and second choice can be on the same campus or on two different campuses. January 15, 2020 is the deadline for submitting your application, and the deadline for changing the program you’re applying to.