UBC fees for dual citizens and permanent residents of Canada

UBC fees for dual citizens and permanent residents of Canada

You don’t have to be a Canadian-born student to be eligible for domestic tuition fees. UBC usually determines what fee structure you’ll follow based on your citizenship, but there are a few exceptions.


Canadian students

UBC considers you to be a Canadian student if you meet one of the following criteria:

  • You are a Canadian citizen;
  • You hold multiple citizenships and one of them is Canadian;
  • You are a permanent resident of Canada;
  • You have refugee status in Canada; or
  • You are the dependent of a diplomat assigned to Canada (your fees and status will change to international once they leave their post in Canada).


International students

All other students will follow the international student fee structure, unless you’re eligible for one of these exemptions:

  • You have an affiliation with an Indigenous nation of Canada (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit);
  • You identify as a member of an Indigenous nation that extends across the Canada-US border (American Indian or Alaska Native);
  • You are in Canada with a full-time, employer-specific work permit for more than one year; or
  • You are the dependent or spouse of an individual who is in Canada with a work permit that fulfils the same criteria.

If one of these bullet points describes your situation, you might be eligible for domestic tuition. Make sure to get in touch with Student Services (UBC Okanagan) or your Enrolment Services Advisor (UBC Vancouver) before the tuition fee payment deadline to confirm.


Calculate your costs

Now you know which tuition fees you’ll pay at UBC, use our cost calculator to estimate your first-year costs for your chosen campus and degree.



Share this post